Wednesday, February 11, 2004
All right, here's the Valentine's Blog
In my opinion, Valentine's Day is really a day of expectations. We expect the best. We expect to be thought of, pampered and of course, fed. hahaha! But when are these expectations taken too far?
I had a conversation with my roommate and bf yesterday about flowers. My bf asked me why guys have to buy girls flowers and what is the meaning of it all? Afterall, flowers die and are only temporary. Why do girls love flowers so much? What value do they have? My roommate said that it's because flowers are expensive and when a guy gets a girl flowers, she feels important and it is a symbol of how much he loves her. To me, i think girls like to receive flowers because it tells her that her bf has been thinking of her..flowers are beautiful...flowers are delicate...flowers are just plain nice!
I have to admit, my bf has been really good with flowers. Every time that I have received flowers from him, it has been the "no occasion" flowers - which means he'll think of me out of the blue and bring me flowers when I least expect it. It leaves me speechless, surprised and of course, happy. Perhaps that is when I enjoy flowers the most... when it is from the heart and I know that he was thinking of me and WANTED to get me something nice rather than feeling pressured to out of obligation because of an occasion such as Valentine's. I think it takes more to go out of your way when you don't have to... rather than going out of your way when you think you have to or else your gf will get mad at you. I have to admit, when people ask me why he bought me flowers and I say, "I don't know... for no reason." it does make me flutter a little inside.
Anyway, I think Valentine's isn't really a big deal. Or at least, it shouldn't be. People argue that it is the one day in the year that you can express your love openly...but you should feel free to do that everyday. I know it sounds corny but expressions of love are so abundant in everyday life - not just with your significant others, but with your family and friends. Celebrating it does not have to be a "special occasion" - so for Valentine's, I'm going to have a nice dinner with my bf and just spend time together like we always do..why should it be any different?
It's what makes us both happy..
I had a conversation with my roommate and bf yesterday about flowers. My bf asked me why guys have to buy girls flowers and what is the meaning of it all? Afterall, flowers die and are only temporary. Why do girls love flowers so much? What value do they have? My roommate said that it's because flowers are expensive and when a guy gets a girl flowers, she feels important and it is a symbol of how much he loves her. To me, i think girls like to receive flowers because it tells her that her bf has been thinking of her..flowers are beautiful...flowers are delicate...flowers are just plain nice!
I have to admit, my bf has been really good with flowers. Every time that I have received flowers from him, it has been the "no occasion" flowers - which means he'll think of me out of the blue and bring me flowers when I least expect it. It leaves me speechless, surprised and of course, happy. Perhaps that is when I enjoy flowers the most... when it is from the heart and I know that he was thinking of me and WANTED to get me something nice rather than feeling pressured to out of obligation because of an occasion such as Valentine's. I think it takes more to go out of your way when you don't have to... rather than going out of your way when you think you have to or else your gf will get mad at you. I have to admit, when people ask me why he bought me flowers and I say, "I don't know... for no reason." it does make me flutter a little inside.
Anyway, I think Valentine's isn't really a big deal. Or at least, it shouldn't be. People argue that it is the one day in the year that you can express your love openly...but you should feel free to do that everyday. I know it sounds corny but expressions of love are so abundant in everyday life - not just with your significant others, but with your family and friends. Celebrating it does not have to be a "special occasion" - so for Valentine's, I'm going to have a nice dinner with my bf and just spend time together like we always do..why should it be any different?
It's what makes us both happy..