Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Rekindling the Flame in Friendships...
Fighting with friends is never easy...with girlfriends, it is so much harder because there is a lot of drama, hurt, and tears! The emotion involved is literally exhausting. Girls like to believe that they are very faithful to each other...they can relate to each other. When there is trouble, it's hard because the relation is no longer there.
Breaking up with a girlfriend is sometimes just as painful as breaking up with a boyfriend. I've had a few fights with girlfriends with whom I am very close. It's never been the same afterwards. There is always that fear of another "fight," or there is resentment of sorts for things that were said....or weren't said. There is always a build up before the fight and those feelings are not always resolved. Some friends you can make up with...and some friends you can't.
Rekindling the flame in friendships isn't easy but it is definitely possible - if it means enough to the both of you. It's important to be able to get past the tiff and move on. There has to be a mutual desire to fix things - it's the same in every relationship, if the mutuality is missing, then there is nothing you can do. I regret to say that I have lost a lot of girlfriends in the past because of fights...but then I realize that maybe our friendships weren't meant to be long-lasting. It's not about having a million friends...it's about having a few good friends that you can trust and confide in.
This past summer, I was able to reunite with a friend from the past. She and I had had our troubles back in high school and onto the first year of University. With boys, school, work, and other friends in between us, we drifted and didn't keep in touch. She was one of my closest friends in High School. Meeting up with her this summer really made me appreciate her. It reminded me of how much we understand each other and although a bit awkward at first, it was comfortable because we know each other's history, attitudes, and personalities. I missed her so much but I know that things will never be the same like they used to be... but we are not the same... and perhaps, in being different than before, we can really start to rebuild the friendship that we almost lost...
Breaking up with a girlfriend is sometimes just as painful as breaking up with a boyfriend. I've had a few fights with girlfriends with whom I am very close. It's never been the same afterwards. There is always that fear of another "fight," or there is resentment of sorts for things that were said....or weren't said. There is always a build up before the fight and those feelings are not always resolved. Some friends you can make up with...and some friends you can't.
Rekindling the flame in friendships isn't easy but it is definitely possible - if it means enough to the both of you. It's important to be able to get past the tiff and move on. There has to be a mutual desire to fix things - it's the same in every relationship, if the mutuality is missing, then there is nothing you can do. I regret to say that I have lost a lot of girlfriends in the past because of fights...but then I realize that maybe our friendships weren't meant to be long-lasting. It's not about having a million friends...it's about having a few good friends that you can trust and confide in.
This past summer, I was able to reunite with a friend from the past. She and I had had our troubles back in high school and onto the first year of University. With boys, school, work, and other friends in between us, we drifted and didn't keep in touch. She was one of my closest friends in High School. Meeting up with her this summer really made me appreciate her. It reminded me of how much we understand each other and although a bit awkward at first, it was comfortable because we know each other's history, attitudes, and personalities. I missed her so much but I know that things will never be the same like they used to be... but we are not the same... and perhaps, in being different than before, we can really start to rebuild the friendship that we almost lost...