Friday, February 20, 2004
A Simple "I'm Sorry"
Sometimes all people want to hear is a simple "I'm sorry." The ten thousand reasons you have for it don't matter because you've hurt the person and you should be sorry. By listing reasons for it, you are simply telling them, "Yeah, sorry I hurt you but this is why I did it. Hope you understand." Your apology means nothing if you're not truly sorry.
When you do someone a favour, don't expect something back in return. Don't gloat and make the person feel like they have to be so grateful, thank you a million times. Doing something out of the goodness of your own heart means really considering the fact that the other person needs your help, even though they will not come right out and tell you. You don't need to be rewarded - the reward in itself should be knowing that the other person's life is made a little bit easier because of you.
There is something about this type of insincerity that drives me up the wall. When people help me out and then make a point to tell me, "Look, I do these things for you.." it's almost like throwing it in my face and telling me that I should be grateful. How can you force someone to be grateful? Or when someone offers to help you but under their conditions...like, "Let me do this for you, but you gotta wait around for a time that is convenient for me." Don't offer your help to someone if you're not sincerely wanting to help them. People who do that are just in it for themselves...so they can get the "thank-you," so they can feel good about themselves.
When you do someone a favour, don't expect something back in return. Don't gloat and make the person feel like they have to be so grateful, thank you a million times. Doing something out of the goodness of your own heart means really considering the fact that the other person needs your help, even though they will not come right out and tell you. You don't need to be rewarded - the reward in itself should be knowing that the other person's life is made a little bit easier because of you.
There is something about this type of insincerity that drives me up the wall. When people help me out and then make a point to tell me, "Look, I do these things for you.." it's almost like throwing it in my face and telling me that I should be grateful. How can you force someone to be grateful? Or when someone offers to help you but under their conditions...like, "Let me do this for you, but you gotta wait around for a time that is convenient for me." Don't offer your help to someone if you're not sincerely wanting to help them. People who do that are just in it for themselves...so they can get the "thank-you," so they can feel good about themselves.