Wednesday, March 03, 2004
The Passion of the Christ
hmm... went to see this movie last night... despite all the controversy and the reviews about it being too gory... I have to say... I agree - about the gory part. I cried... a lot...during the parts between mother and son...oh boy... it was a tear fest. But at the same time, I did think the message was lost amongst all the gory scenes in the movie. I looked away for about 10 minutes of the movie.. couldn't bear to look at it again...and since the movie was not in English, I missed some of the lines that I couldn't read. Someone fainted in the theatre and had to be taken out, too.
Afterwards, my confused bf asked me about the characters...and with my fuzzy memories of religion class, I tried to explain to him the significance behind the symbols, the characters and the message. He thought they should have explained everything a little more to those who are not educated about the Christian epic.
Oy.. I don't know what my opinion is on this movie.. I left the theatre feeling troubled....and fell asleep trying to remember the "Our Father" and then woke up with the same disturbed feeling. I didn't know a movie could affect me like this...not that I'm a religious person... just... made me think that there is all sorts of wrong-doing in the world.. many people suffer like that... and we all plead ignorance to it. It's so sad... so sad to think that you can be killed for your beliefs...it still happens today...so how much has really changed?
Afterwards, my confused bf asked me about the characters...and with my fuzzy memories of religion class, I tried to explain to him the significance behind the symbols, the characters and the message. He thought they should have explained everything a little more to those who are not educated about the Christian epic.
Oy.. I don't know what my opinion is on this movie.. I left the theatre feeling troubled....and fell asleep trying to remember the "Our Father" and then woke up with the same disturbed feeling. I didn't know a movie could affect me like this...not that I'm a religious person... just... made me think that there is all sorts of wrong-doing in the world.. many people suffer like that... and we all plead ignorance to it. It's so sad... so sad to think that you can be killed for your beliefs...it still happens today...so how much has really changed?