Wednesday, March 10, 2004
P.S. I Love You
My seventh grade teacher - Mrs. Pietras - used to make us write journal entries everyday after lunch. We would hand in our journals, she would comment on them and return them to us by lunch the next day so we could write again. I once wrote an article about death....and she wrote to me: "You should make sure that you tell your parents you love them everyday because you never know... one day you may leave to go to school and come home and they could be gone." I remember almost wanting to cry after she wrote that to me...not understanding how she could instill such cynicism in a seventh grader.
Later in the school year, she took some time off because her father had passed away.... and that's when I understood what she had meant by her comment.
Do we say "I love you" enough? I tell my parents I love them every so often.. but I feel wierd about it...because shouldn't they already know? And is it true that if you say it too often, it no longer bears the same meaning?
I like to hear the words "I love you." It gives you a great feeling inside - even if you already KNOW that the other person loves you. However, it's not enough to just say it... you have to mean it..and show it too.
There does come a point where you become comfortable with the three little words that have big meaning. We shouldn't be afraid to say it to those we love... esp. our family and friends...because my teacher is right... there comes a time when they might not be around anymore.. and it's nice to let them know that you love them - even if you think they should already know.
Later in the school year, she took some time off because her father had passed away.... and that's when I understood what she had meant by her comment.
Do we say "I love you" enough? I tell my parents I love them every so often.. but I feel wierd about it...because shouldn't they already know? And is it true that if you say it too often, it no longer bears the same meaning?
I like to hear the words "I love you." It gives you a great feeling inside - even if you already KNOW that the other person loves you. However, it's not enough to just say it... you have to mean it..and show it too.
There does come a point where you become comfortable with the three little words that have big meaning. We shouldn't be afraid to say it to those we love... esp. our family and friends...because my teacher is right... there comes a time when they might not be around anymore.. and it's nice to let them know that you love them - even if you think they should already know.