Wednesday, April 07, 2004
The Art of Writing...
Everybody's got a style of writing...some people like to start off with a great introduction and some people like to write the conclusion first. I always know how I want to end, it's starting that I have the most difficulty with. Like blogging... when I blog, I always try to think of a catchy title that I can work with.. because I know what I want to talk about. The middle part is easy because you just keep writing and writing until you get to the end, that's already written.
Maybe that is the way I view a lot of things in my life. I always know where I want to end up, but taking the necessary steps to get there is so difficult! When I write an essay, I know what I want my conclusion to sound like.. and I can almost just write it out as it forms in my mind... but starting an essay will literally take me days on end. I usually start without a title...and then I think of the three points I want to discuss... and then.. if I'm lucky, I'll be able to write a sentence or two that I'm happy with.
I don't know what it is exactly that causes me to see the ending clearer than the beginning. Am I working backwards?? I know that in life, I want to have a family, a career and happiness...but how do I start obtaining those things?? What is the first step? I know that in order to have a career, I need an education and I know that in order to have a family, I need a husband.. and in order to have happiness, I need love. Yet, how to obtain those things exactly, I have no plan, no structure, no direction!
Perhaps that is the point. I'm writing my story as I go... making a few mistakes here and there - erasing, rewriting - and I already know what I want the ending to be...but I have to write the story anyway...and in the end, I guess that essay won't be too bad after all.
Maybe that is the way I view a lot of things in my life. I always know where I want to end up, but taking the necessary steps to get there is so difficult! When I write an essay, I know what I want my conclusion to sound like.. and I can almost just write it out as it forms in my mind... but starting an essay will literally take me days on end. I usually start without a title...and then I think of the three points I want to discuss... and then.. if I'm lucky, I'll be able to write a sentence or two that I'm happy with.
I don't know what it is exactly that causes me to see the ending clearer than the beginning. Am I working backwards?? I know that in life, I want to have a family, a career and happiness...but how do I start obtaining those things?? What is the first step? I know that in order to have a career, I need an education and I know that in order to have a family, I need a husband.. and in order to have happiness, I need love. Yet, how to obtain those things exactly, I have no plan, no structure, no direction!
Perhaps that is the point. I'm writing my story as I go... making a few mistakes here and there - erasing, rewriting - and I already know what I want the ending to be...but I have to write the story anyway...and in the end, I guess that essay won't be too bad after all.