Thursday, April 29, 2004
Love, Actually
So I finally got to see Love Actually yesterday - I went out to the local corner store and rented it for $2.50! :) Anyway... I wasn't as impressed with the movie as I thought I would be. It got me a bit teary-eyed but only for a mere second. Actually, it did make me think about love.
I guess the movie wanted to show the different kinds of love that actually exist out there. There's the forbidden love... the romantic love.. the awkward love.. the commital love..the lost love...the foreign love...and of course.. the young and old love.
I guess there was also the message of taking risks when it comes to love...love is about risk-taking...(what else is new!?) There were two particular story-lines that I really liked.. the forbidden love and the young love.
Forbidden Love:
In the movie, there was a guy who was in love with his best friend's fiance/wife.. he was in love with her so he treated her like he didn't like her...and when she found out, he confessed...telling her that for always, she will be perfect to him...but that's it... nothing can ever be done about it.
So what happens when you fall in love with someone you cannot have? Do you graciously bow out... or do you pursue it because you "need to take a risk?" Isn't love about taking that risk.. to see if that person is right for you and wrong for the other?
Young Love:
Does it matter how old you are? Even when you're young, you know what love is...you know that you want the other person to be happy.. you know that you want to make that person happy. Isn't that what love is about? When the person you love is happy... your happiness just naturally follows. It's sincere, it's innocent, and its genuine.
I was in love with a friend I couldn't have once. He liked my best friend and I wished for a long time that he would open his eyes and see me for all that I was. I was the girl that would treat him well... I was the girl that could make him happy... why couldn't he just see that? Yet...I couldn't do anything about it. And everytime he was nice to me..he gave me butterflies...However, even though I couldn't have him...I still wanted him to be happy...and when he got a girlfriend...sad as I was...I didn't show it...I was his "friend."
Young, forbidden love.. what a combination of events! :) I guess when you're young and you can't have somebody that you love.. it makes you more humble...it makes you smarter ... it shows you that you ARE capable of feeling that for another human being...and if you feel it once.. you can definitely feel it again...
I guess the movie wanted to show the different kinds of love that actually exist out there. There's the forbidden love... the romantic love.. the awkward love.. the commital love..the lost love...the foreign love...and of course.. the young and old love.
I guess there was also the message of taking risks when it comes to love...love is about risk-taking...(what else is new!?) There were two particular story-lines that I really liked.. the forbidden love and the young love.
Forbidden Love:
In the movie, there was a guy who was in love with his best friend's fiance/wife.. he was in love with her so he treated her like he didn't like her...and when she found out, he confessed...telling her that for always, she will be perfect to him...but that's it... nothing can ever be done about it.
So what happens when you fall in love with someone you cannot have? Do you graciously bow out... or do you pursue it because you "need to take a risk?" Isn't love about taking that risk.. to see if that person is right for you and wrong for the other?
Young Love:
Does it matter how old you are? Even when you're young, you know what love is...you know that you want the other person to be happy.. you know that you want to make that person happy. Isn't that what love is about? When the person you love is happy... your happiness just naturally follows. It's sincere, it's innocent, and its genuine.
I was in love with a friend I couldn't have once. He liked my best friend and I wished for a long time that he would open his eyes and see me for all that I was. I was the girl that would treat him well... I was the girl that could make him happy... why couldn't he just see that? Yet...I couldn't do anything about it. And everytime he was nice to me..he gave me butterflies...However, even though I couldn't have him...I still wanted him to be happy...and when he got a girlfriend...sad as I was...I didn't show it...I was his "friend."
Young, forbidden love.. what a combination of events! :) I guess when you're young and you can't have somebody that you love.. it makes you more humble...it makes you smarter ... it shows you that you ARE capable of feeling that for another human being...and if you feel it once.. you can definitely feel it again...