<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 05, 2004

Something's Gotta Give 

Erika to Mary: "I'm in love" (she says sobbing) "Isn't it great?" (sob)

Harry: "Why is that you broads want all or nothing?"
Erika: "I don't know. We're just goofy when it comes to love."

Harry: "I have never lied to you, I have always told you some version of the truth!"


This movie made me laugh out loud.. it was wonderfully funny and smart. Definitely something I would recommend. Of course, it was about the ever so complicated topic: LOVE. It was about learning to love...no matter at what age. And love... between sex and companionship and understanding...involves so much more than what it seems. It includes laughing and crying and fighting and hugs and kisses. The whole lot! It is about taking care of each other even when you don't like each other that much...and it's about companionship. Companionship is what is left when all the physical and passionate elements are gone...

There is a part in the movie where both Erika and Harry are writing to each other via messenger. They are in love but she hasn't heard from him in months....typing and sobbing at the same time, she is excited to talk to him. When he hesitates to write "I miss you.." she mistakes the silence for a lack of affection and pretends that she is busy. I have to admit, I've done that before - I've been on both ends... makes me think of how many special moments have passed me by...that's where patience comes in...that's what I need.

I need the patience in order to learn these lessons about love. All too often, I think we want to rush love.. make sense of the feelings that we feel and forget about everything else that matters. All the stuff in between is important too - when we take the time to learn these things, they become life lessons on how to love another human being. And lessons that we take with us for the rest of our life are never easy to learn.

Something's gotta give.. in order to feel love. You've got to let go of your inner inhibitions, of your inner cautions and of your insecurities. In order to love, you have to forgive...and look at the person in a human light. After being left by Harry, Erika sobbed like a baby for days and weeks....but she still told her daughter that she was still in love...and love hurts that badly and that she hadn't felt love like that in a long time.

In anger, love doesn't just go away...it flourishes with the hope that you will overcome it...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com