Monday, April 19, 2004
To Those Who Are Afraid to Take Risks..
I realized something so important these past few weeks - which is probably why I haven't been writing as much as I used to. I've had time to gather my thoughts.. and really put something together that finally makes sense. The answers have always been there, it's just a matter of stopping and taking a look.
I had a conversation with a good friend this weekend about finding the right person and holding out for someone who is worthwhile... and I looked at her.. as beautiful as she may be... I saw that she was so afraid of getting hurt. As all cautious, smart women are, she didn't want to give her heart to someone who wasn't going to treat her right. We've all been hurt by someone we care about - 'tis life....and I told her ... stop being so afraid...stop liking the boys who are "safe"...and open your eyes to what COULD be...if you get hurt again, you will survive.. just like you did the first time.
I realized that we can be so protective of ourselves...because we don't want to be "vulnerable" to love...but if you don't take that risk, you become vulnerable to something else... to loneliness. It's one thing to be picky... it is another thing to be afraid. Being afraid to take the risk... being afraid of getting hurt again...leaves us wondering if there will ever be anyone good enough.
Perhaps the only way to feel real love when it arrives is to know what love is not. Perhaps we all have to experience the wrong people in order to appreciate the good ones...perhaps it is time... time to open your heart to something more... and have faith that it will work out in the end ...no matter how rough the journey.. Forgive yourself for not knowing the first time...and look forward to the next time.
..Because isn't that what love is all about? It's about having faith... in yourself and in other people.
I had a conversation with a good friend this weekend about finding the right person and holding out for someone who is worthwhile... and I looked at her.. as beautiful as she may be... I saw that she was so afraid of getting hurt. As all cautious, smart women are, she didn't want to give her heart to someone who wasn't going to treat her right. We've all been hurt by someone we care about - 'tis life....and I told her ... stop being so afraid...stop liking the boys who are "safe"...and open your eyes to what COULD be...if you get hurt again, you will survive.. just like you did the first time.
I realized that we can be so protective of ourselves...because we don't want to be "vulnerable" to love...but if you don't take that risk, you become vulnerable to something else... to loneliness. It's one thing to be picky... it is another thing to be afraid. Being afraid to take the risk... being afraid of getting hurt again...leaves us wondering if there will ever be anyone good enough.
Perhaps the only way to feel real love when it arrives is to know what love is not. Perhaps we all have to experience the wrong people in order to appreciate the good ones...perhaps it is time... time to open your heart to something more... and have faith that it will work out in the end ...no matter how rough the journey.. Forgive yourself for not knowing the first time...and look forward to the next time.
..Because isn't that what love is all about? It's about having faith... in yourself and in other people.