<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Learning from Each Other.. 

In psychology, they teach us that opposites do attract, but it doesn't usually work because as we get older, we start to want someone who shares the same values, beliefs, and standards as we do - we begin to value similarity. I think that in the context of values and beliefs, similarity should definitely be present... but there are other areas that could use a complement.

When I was younger, I used to say, "I could never marry someone exactly like me.. can you imagine how much bickering we'd do?" And as I got older, I began to value having someone who is on the same intellectual level as I am.. so that we can relate and communicate better. Last night I had a conversation with my bf that really opened my eyes. As I've mentioned a million times before, he is more optimistic about love than I am.. and I am more optimistic about life than he is. And I asked him, "Why are we so different in these extremes....where I am strong, you are weak and where I am weak, you are strong." And he said, "That just means we have a lot to learn from each other."

As stupid as I felt, I had never thought of it in that light before. I mean, I love him to pieces, but I thought we'd have to deal with this issue that we are so different in our thought-patterns when it comes to life and love. I have learned a great deal from him....we have learned from each other. I always say that a good relationship is one that offers you an outlet for constant learning... and makes you a better person in the process. I've seen so many relationships where people stop learning... and it's sad, really...because all of us are so different. Similar or different, by opening your heart and mind to someone else's perspective, you could see a whole new world.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com