<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 22, 2004

The Money Issue 

When you're in a relationship, what are the proper etiquettes when it comes to money and sharing expenses? I'm so confused.

I went from a boyfriend who didn't want to pay for anything to a boyfriend who wants to pay for everything! Both techniques are quite insulting to me...First, I feel like I'm not worthy of the dollar and then I feel like I'm underestimated in my ability to save.

I had this discussion with my bf on the way back to Toronto this weekend...he said that I shouldn't always try to pay for things, that he would like to contribute where he can. However, it doesn't make sense to me when we're out shopping and he wants to pay for my ... ahem... accessories!

I hate to say it, but there are some girls out there who have no problem taking money from their bfs...or to relish in their bfs generosity...but I'm not one of those girls. It makes me extremely uncomfortable when I'm dating someone and he wants to pay for everything. We are both able-bodied people who work, so why shouldn't we take turns paying?

I don't want to be calculative either...I don't want to be splitting the bill at the restaurant or going dutch. As a couple, I want to have an understanding with my significant other about who pays for what...a generous understanding that we can both be happy about.

I have no problem accepting gifts...but if I decide to give a luxurious gift, I want my bf to be able to accept it too. I think what it all comes down to is a matter of pride... from both of us.. I don't want him to think that I'm a gold-digger and he doesn't want me to think that he is incompetent - we can both agree that we don't like to argue about it at the table. :)

Anyway...what are the rules? What is the proper etiquette? Is there such a thing?


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com