Monday, December 13, 2004
Sell Out
When I read Catcher in the Rye in OAC, I remember a passage where Holden labels his older brother a prostitute for selling his talent in order to succeed in life. That was my first impression of a "sell-out." Then again, Holden was a depressed failure who couldn't get over the past. He wanted to live in the past in order to prevent future mistakes...but only to his own demise. By criticising others, he only contradicted himself...because he wanted to be more like them - he wanted to be successful, he wanted to be popular, he wanted for the girl to like him. But instead, Holden withdrew into a world where he wanted to recapture his own youth - appreciating the innocence of children and never wanting to grow up.
I'll do what it takes to succeed in life. I'll do what will benefit me the most as long as it doesn't compromise my own beliefs and values. If that makes me a sell-out, then so be it. I'm not just selling my talent.. I am using it to further myself in a world where men feel threatened by successful women...
The true sell-outs, though... are the ones who cannot think for themselves and are monkeys in the corporate world - trying to reap benefits that are not available to them through their own talent.
At some point or another, Holden Caulfield has to exist in the real world...where failure doesn't rupture a strong mind...and success only makes it stronger. Survival is key...how do you define your success as a human being?
I'll do what it takes to succeed in life. I'll do what will benefit me the most as long as it doesn't compromise my own beliefs and values. If that makes me a sell-out, then so be it. I'm not just selling my talent.. I am using it to further myself in a world where men feel threatened by successful women...
The true sell-outs, though... are the ones who cannot think for themselves and are monkeys in the corporate world - trying to reap benefits that are not available to them through their own talent.
At some point or another, Holden Caulfield has to exist in the real world...where failure doesn't rupture a strong mind...and success only makes it stronger. Survival is key...how do you define your success as a human being?