<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Joint Bank Account 

Yesterday my roommate SJ and I were talking about the joint bank account and if she and her fiance had considered sharing bank accounts when they got married. I like having these discussions with her because it's nice to hear another perspective - one that's all for it.

To me, the joint bank account can cause a lot of tension between couples. I mean, if all the money goes into one bank account, then when you want to spend on something that doesn't have to do with the mortgage payments or the bills, then what do you do? Who determines the allowances and do you have to discuss EVERYTHING that goes in and out of this account.

We considered the different spending habits of men and women. Women tend to spend more often than men...but when men spend, they SPEND on big items such as electronics or a motorcycle (haha). Ultimately, there will be points of tension if the rules aren't set straight from the beginning. It sounds so harsh to even say "The rules."

I've spoken to my bf about this and he and I both agree that we would have three accounts: A joint bank account, and two separate personal accounts. We would discuss a certain amount to go into the joint bank account every week and whatever we have left on the side is for our own personal expenses, such as gifts, money for family, or personal expenditures. It only seems fair, no?

Then you've also got to consider the issue of trust. Do you trust your partner enough to share all your money? Do you trust their decisions and their consideration for you and the money that you share with each other? It's such a touchy subject...

I'd love to hear what you think...


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com