Thursday, February 03, 2005
The "Cattiness" Factor
So my bf has decided to take a fishing trip for the weekend with the boys - 3 days sleeping on an icy lake with only an outhouse as your sanctuary... uh...not my cup of tea...
I think in that sense, men and women differ drastically. Men like to hang out and do things where they don't have to shower for days and STILL like each other. They'll get crabby when they don't catch fish, but they won't hate each other and threaten to leave the premises. I don't know if women can spend that much time together, under dire sanitary conditions and still be happy that they're there.
My roommate and I watch The Apprentice religiously and we're always surprised at how catty women can be. I mean, men are catty too but not ALL the time. It gives women such a bad name... we cannot co-exist with other women without feelings of competitiveness, jealousy, envy, or annoyance. Why is that!?
I think it takes a certain amount of understanding between women to avoid this "cattiness." My roommie Laurie and i have been roommates for a while now and occasionally, we get annoyed with each other over little things like the phone, bills, or housekeeping but it's NEVER to the extent where we have mutual resentment. I think keeping an open communication about things always helps.
She said something to me once and said that a true friend doesn't just listen to your problems and say, "Oh don't worry...I've had bigger problems than that" or continue to talk about their own problems... a true friend helps you find solutions that can make you feel better about your situation. We can share our financial and emotional troubles without feeling like we're comparing. It's about relating and understanding where the other person is coming from.
Perhaps men have it easier that way - they don't have to deal with their emotional problems as girls have to on a daily basis...I think to prevent catiness, you really have to put yourself in another person's shoes..and if you know them well enough, you'll give them enough credit.
I think in that sense, men and women differ drastically. Men like to hang out and do things where they don't have to shower for days and STILL like each other. They'll get crabby when they don't catch fish, but they won't hate each other and threaten to leave the premises. I don't know if women can spend that much time together, under dire sanitary conditions and still be happy that they're there.
My roommate and I watch The Apprentice religiously and we're always surprised at how catty women can be. I mean, men are catty too but not ALL the time. It gives women such a bad name... we cannot co-exist with other women without feelings of competitiveness, jealousy, envy, or annoyance. Why is that!?
I think it takes a certain amount of understanding between women to avoid this "cattiness." My roommie Laurie and i have been roommates for a while now and occasionally, we get annoyed with each other over little things like the phone, bills, or housekeeping but it's NEVER to the extent where we have mutual resentment. I think keeping an open communication about things always helps.
She said something to me once and said that a true friend doesn't just listen to your problems and say, "Oh don't worry...I've had bigger problems than that" or continue to talk about their own problems... a true friend helps you find solutions that can make you feel better about your situation. We can share our financial and emotional troubles without feeling like we're comparing. It's about relating and understanding where the other person is coming from.
Perhaps men have it easier that way - they don't have to deal with their emotional problems as girls have to on a daily basis...I think to prevent catiness, you really have to put yourself in another person's shoes..and if you know them well enough, you'll give them enough credit.